Broken Glitch Society

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Broken Glitch Society

Broken Glitch Society is a gaming community dedicated to competitive gameplay, gaming theories, artistic creativity and various other interesting aspects.

Self-Harm for Attention

DarkEnvy
    DarkEnvy
    Forum Founder / Head Admin

Male Posts : 706
    Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Favorite Band : Black Veil Brides
    Mood : Happy

User Accolades
    Broken Glitch Awards:

Self-Harm for Attention Empty Self-Harm for Attention

Post by DarkEnvy Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:44 pm

As a 21 year old who has a lot of friends who consider themselves "scene", (For those who don't know, it's basically a more color filled and less varied version of Gothic fashion. Complete with Post-Hardcore, Pop Punk and Indie music, swooping multi-colored haircuts and a lot of other trendy things.) I've noticed that there has been a rising trend in the scene of self-harm among teenagers (specifically from sophomore to junior year of High School in America).

That's not the disturbing thing though (at least to me.)

The disturbing thing is that they do it for attention and people even congratulate them for being "brave" by posting pictures of their sliced up legs and arms on Facebook.

The question I'm wondering is, what does everyone here think about this disturbing trend. Who's to blame? Is it the mindset of this generation? The parents? The lack of communication between the two?

My personal viewpoint is, if you cut yourself and post photos of it on Facebook, you're not really hurting, you're looking for attention. You don't need help in the way that people who cut themselves and hide it actually do. You need a good slap in the face from your parents, and then you need to go to therapy to try and make you figure out why people's opinions of you matter so much that you would go to the lengths of actually making yourself bleed for them.

I've also noticed a disturbing connection between wealth of the family and the frequency of this disgusting phenomenon. The wealthier a family is, the more likely this is to happen.

TLDR: People who post pictures of self harm intentionally to foster the wrong kind of attention are attention whores to a whole different degree.

What do you guys think about this?

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm